Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reading crochet

This wonderful book was a treat for myself for xmas. I've had a silent wish for a looong time now, ever since I first learned how to crochet. I've really wanted to learn how to read crochet... 


... you know, those funny symbols? All the lessons I've had have been either in person where you are shown or via great tutorials, like on Lucy's blog, Attic 24, where words and pictures guide you through. Anyway, I thought it was about time - if I can crochet a blanket I should be able to read a pattern... don't you think?


While we were away this was my goal.
First try was the Open Shell Stitch lace pattern...


Next, I tried the Bold Scallop Edging pattern.


They're not totally accurate but I like them, and it's a start.

No.1 New Year's Resolution complete :)
(tick that box!)

7 comments:

Mia said...

I'm really jealous, frankly your examples look perfect! You didn't say whether it was harder or easier than you thought. You've inspired me though - I guess I'll put the same challenge on my list of challenges to be mastered :)

Rie said...

Good Job!!!
I love crocheting but can't follow a pattern for the life of me - the symbols look like an ancient secret language to me!!

blue moss said...

i am super impressed!!! wow...that is something that i want to learn, but haven't even tried. you are so ispiring.
michelle
ps...thinking of you while i am glued to the television watching australian open tennis....
i am taping it all night and then leaving it on most of the day and wishing i could be there

Cindy said...

Wonderful! It looks very pretty and good on you to tick a box already.

Unknown said...

wonderful kylie- i love the scallop edging. good to hear you were not affected by the flooding. we were away as well (melbourne, i wanted to stay- forever!) i'll be in touch soon mady x

Photography said...

I got this book from the library :-)

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

That should be something I need to learn too. It's really confusing for me though as I learnt crocheting as a kid in Dutch first, then forgot about it all.
Then I learnt it again via the internet in English (American stitches) so it now is just really hard to read crochet patterns. Perhaps the drawings are universal and I should dig into that too!
Loving the bold scalloping.